When the challenge was presented something inside me immediately said yes. That was ten days ago and I’ve been mentally gearing up for it ever since and now it’s go time.
The Art 101 Challenge: To complete a work of art every day for 101 days.
Start Date: June 1st
End Date: September 10th
Here are my intentions for this daring adventure:
• Follow my urges and go with the creative flow. This means learning to listen and honor the deeper wisdom within.
• Befriend the inner critic. That little voice that offers it’s unsolicited opinion about everything I create – that’s not very good, that’s not real art, you don’t know what you’re doing – has stopped me in the past because I’ve made the mistake of believing it but I’ve come to realize that it’s true intention is not as harmful as it initially seems. My little voice knows that to create is to be vulnerable and it only wants to keep me safe. I will learn to hear it’s messages as a reminder to be brave and nothing more.
• Let go of comparing myself to other artists (it’s a trap!) and discover my own unique expressions.
• Create things that bring truth, love, joy and beauty into the world and then offer them up, give them away or let them go.
• Dare to go beyond where I might normally have stopped.
I’m not sure if I’m more excited about exploring various forms of art and the discoveries I’m certain to make along the way or that I have creative souls to venture along with me. You can find a list of the challenge participants here. I’ll be updating this list as people join in and more info becomes available. Contact me if you’re interested in jumping in!
It was this TEDx talk that inspired this whole challenge to begin with, check it out. Our group is honored to have the speaker, Jolie Guillebeau, join us to offer us occasional encouragement and support.
“Don’t be afraid of making something bad, be afraid of making nothing at all”. –Jolie Guillebeau